Marvel Now! February

Nostalgia Fan
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Not sure if anyone else has noticed yet but I just saw the Marvel Now lineup for February, wow, lots of #1's in there. Fantastic Four, Wolverine, She-Hulk, The Punisher, New Warriors, X-Force, Loki, and Ms. Marvel all have #1's in February! That's a lot of big names all starting a fresh series in the same month. Is anyone else looking forward to adding a few, or all, of these titles to their pulllist? What's your thoughts on the new launches, excited, not so much? Maybe Tim can weigh in for us on which ones look like they are going to be must haves.

I'm going to add a poll here, it's my first one, both to test the poll and see if we can get some opinions and spark some conversation!

*You must be logged in to respond to the poll (so it knows who has already voted).
Which Marvel Now February titles are you excited for?
You can select up to 8 options.
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .

Re: Marvel Now! February

SkottJimenez
Administrator
I'm curious about She-Hulk but I've been collecting long enough to know that #1 issues no longer have the value or sense of importance they once had. Kind of hard to be special when you get a new #1 every year it seems like.

I'm also very much waiting for the Dan Slott/Mike Allred Silver Surfer to debut. Though I don't know when it's supposed to start

Re: Marvel Now! February

Nostalgia Fan
Administrator
I have noticed that there are lots more #1s than there were when I read comics as a kid, but since it has been several years since I have really been reading them, I find the #1s to be a nice clean start. Sometimes it feels a bit rough to pick up a series from issue 100, or even 20 in some cases. So while the #1s may not all have the collectible value that they used to (with some obvious exceptions), from the standpoint of wanting to get into the series, and enjoy the story, I think the #1s are nice. I find myself buying lots of #1s just to get a feel for the series, see if it seems like something I will like or not, but I do definitely appreciate the collector's view of #1s not feeling as special. Thanks for sharing Skott.
NOS

Re: Marvel Now! February

NOS
Administrator
I get kinda excited about #1's, especially when there aren't a dozen other series out there with similar titles like Wolverine, Savage Wolverine, Wolverine & X-Men, Wolverine Max, etc, etc, etc.  I mean... I like Wolverine, but geez!

However, I can also appreciate the collector's perspective... you see enough of these titles come and go and you start to question the motivation and direction of a new storyline.  Is it yet ANOTHER reboot?  Are they going to undermine the previous series by tampering with the main characters archtype?  I wouldn't be happy if I'd just finished a long series only for them to start a new one and throw everything from the last series out the window in the first issue.
Novus Ordo Seclorum ~Tim Stairs

Re: Marvel Now! February

SkottJimenez
Administrator
When I see another Fantastic Four #1 I just don't have the interest. #1 issues should be for something new or different not just because the publisher wants an artificial boost in sales (most books drop a lot with the second issue).
Books like Detective Comics, Fantastic Four, Action Comics, Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man are kind of like foundation books and should only have one first issue. Captain America has about 7 or 8 now and that's lame. I can kind of understand the wanting to start fresh but even I never expected to start Amazing Spider-Man from #1. My current run with the character started with #529 and I was ok with that.
She-Hulk and The Silver Surfer haven't had a book in a while so an all new #1 is fine but another Daredevil #1? Fantastic Four #1? When I started collecting Fantastic Four it was with #489 and it was one of those 'First Issue In A Bold New Era' issues and didn't need to be relaunched.
Maybe it's because I've been collecting non-stop since I started in 1990 but I prefer books with higher numbers over beginning again with a #1.