Cataloging

Nostalgia Fan
Administrator
Hey guys, something I have been noticing my collection grows is that I sometimes have trouble keeping track of exactly which issues I have, and which ones I don't. This got me thinking there had to be a better solution than relying on memory for which back issues I already picked up. After turning to the old stand by answer box (Google search) I was left feeling more confused than ever. So my question is what do you all use to catalog your comics and keep track of which issues you have? Do you rely on memory, use a simple word document, or do you use a database of some sort? Let me know which ones you like and why. I want to check some of them out, give them a bit of a trial run and perhaps put one or two up on the resources page. Thanks for the input, can't wait to get into some discussions with everyone!

Re: Cataloging

Skott
I used to have a binder where I kept track of everything but after you get into the thousands it's near impossible to keep something like that going so I put together a website of sorts through Tripod.
I use that to keep track of what I have and use a notebook app on my phone to keep track of what I'm looking for. Plus if I'm at a show and come across something I'm not actively looking for but not sure if I have it I can log onto the website and see if I need it or not.

And once a year, usually towards the end, I go through and double check my numbers to make sure my online list is accurate.

http://members.tripod.com/evil_s0/comicbooks/index.html

Re: Cataloging

Nostalgia Fan
Administrator
I thought about doing a binder type list too, but that would mean I would have to re-do it every time I picked up an issue in between others, so I could keep it in order. I like the idea of it being online too, something I can access from my phone for when my list isn't right in front of me. Thanks for sharing! Do you keep an offline backup just incase that hosting site disappears?
NOS

Re: Cataloging

NOS
Administrator
That's pretty awesome Skott!  Have you guys ever considered using a site like http://www.comicspriceguide.com/.  It allows you to catalog your collection and keep track of their estimated values.  It may even be a quick and convenient way of putting a value on a back-issue you're looking to buy while on-the-fly!
Novus Ordo Seclorum ~Tim Stairs

Re: Cataloging

Nostalgia Fan
Administrator
I'll have to look into that one. I found www.stashmycomics.com yesterday, and started up an account to give them a try, sounds like the same concept. Good stuff. I like the idea of it being online a lot, as long it plays nicely with my sell phone so I can check things on the go.

Re: Cataloging

SkottJimenez
Administrator
I don't keep an offline listing though I know I should look into that but starting over with a new site would be more than I'm willing to do at the moment, I'm nearing 6,700 comics in my collection.
But the free site looks nice, I may dabble with it a bit.